Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Any Suggestions?

As I mentioned briefly in the last post, Gavin's been refusing to eat. I know that he's not starving by any means, but it is frustrating for me as a parent to try to feed him food and have him refuse it. I thought maybe he wanted to eat when we eat, so I made sure I was eating, too. I thought also he wanted to eat what we're eating, so I've been trying that as well. It seems to work some of the time, but even when he is eating, it's been a four or five bites (maybe less), or half to 3/4 of what he was eating before. Being a first time parent, I'm not sure what to expect, of course, and every child is different, but any suggestions on what I can do? Or am I doing all I can? I just keep offering it to him, and I usually nurse him afterwards. I just called Philip and he suggested that I wait half an hour without nursing and try again. I guess I'll see if that works.

He eats baby cereal like crazy and cheerios or other cracker/cereal like stuff just fine, but I don't want that to be his only sustenance. Oh, another factor: we believe he's teething and can see white on his gums. Could that also be the problem?

This is a picture I took last week and thought it fit perfect with the subject of this post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The advice I remember being given is that babies will not starve themselves, and if given a variety of foods on a regular basis, they will eat a fairly balanced diet on a week to week basis. Don't expect or worry about balancing it day to day. I suspect you are doing just fine and don't need to worry about him.

Unknown said...

It sounds like his new teeth are bothering him. Keep him conforted by breastfeeding and giving plenty of liquids. Keep offering food to him, but don't beg him to eat. He's so normal!

Natalie said...

There was a time that Nathan only seemed to eat milk and goldfish crackers. Whether he did or not, I can't remember, but he definitely turned out fine and grew out of that phase. Now he only wants pizza, but he does eat other things. I would only worry about it if he was having some other symptom, like major weight gain or loss, stomach aches, etc. I'm sure that Gavin will be just fine.

GLove said...

Thanks for your advice, I'm not worried about him starving himself, it's just frustrating he won't eat things he used to!

GLove said...

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!